For homeowners, one of the most stressful and daunting experiences is when their roof begins to leak. A leaking roof can cause serious harm to your home including water damage, mold growth, and even structural damage. As soon as a leak is noticed, homeowners should take immediate action in order to prevent additional damage and to make certain that your home is safe and secure. In this blog, homeowners will learn what to do when a leak begins to form, when to contact a professional roofing contractor, and how to prevent future roof leaks.
What To Do When Your Roof Leaks
The first course of action in dealing with a roof leak is to take immediate action.
– Safety First – If water is coming through your ceiling, you will need to turn off the electricity to the area surrounding the leak and move any furniture, especially electronics, away from the water.
– Locate the Source of the Leak – It is important to determine where the leak is coming from. Check every nook and cranny including your attic, crawl space, and most importantly the roof for signs of the leak. Other signs of what to look for are water stains, dampness, or mold.
– Contain the Leak – If you are able to access your roof, place a tarp or plastic sheeting over the leaking area to ensure that extra water will not come into your home and cause further damage.
– Contact a Professional Roofing Contractor – In order to get the leak professionally repaired and ensure that it is sealed correctly, it is imperative to contact a roofing contractor so the damage can be assessed, and a repair estimate can be provided.
Emergency Roof Leak Repair
If a professional roofing contractor isn’t able to get to your home immediately, there are temporary repair measures that you can utilize to contain the leak until a proper repair can be made.
– Use a Bucket – Place a bucket or other container under the source of the leak to catch the water to prevent additional damage.
– Apply Sealant – If possible, you should apply roofing sealant or duct tape to the leak area to stop the water from entering your home.
– Clear Debris – If the leak is caused by debris on your roof, you should remove it but try to be very careful so that the leak isn’t maximized.
Preventing Future Roof Leaks
In order to protect your home and your possessions, you can take the following measures:
– Keep Your Gutters Clean – It is possible for clogged gutters to cause water back up and damage to your roof. Take a few moments out of your week to make sure that there isn’t any extra debris in your gutters.
– Trim Trees Near Your Home – During a storm, it is possible for overhanging branches to cause damage to your roof. Regular roof trimming will help prevent your roof or home from being damaged by water.
– Inspect Your Roof Regularly – Regularly inspecting your roof can help you identify and confront any potential issues before they become major and stressful problems. If you aren’t sure how to spot roofing issues, contact a professional roofing contractor for help!
– Hire a Professional for Maintenance – Professional roofers have the skills and tools to identify potential issues with your roof. If any damage or problems are spotted, they will be able to perform preventative maintenance to keep your roof in good condition and your home protected.
After reading, homeowners should have the tools to identify damage and leaks and how to take immediate action to prevent further damage to their home. Excel Construction Group offers 24/7 emergency roofing repairs and have a great emergency response team. If you are dealing with any leaks or water damage, contact us for a free inspection and you will be taken care of and your home will be safe and secure.
Also Read :