In recent years, metal roofs have gained popularity due to their longevity, durability, and low maintenance requirements. Homeowners might witness problems anytime, and they might go out of control and need the urgent attention of professionals.
At Excel Construction Group, we’re here to discuss a few of the most common problems regarding metal roofs and their associated solutions. It’s essential to educate consumers about the potential common issues with a metal roof that might quickly assist homeowners. Before deciding on metal roofs, homeowners should know how long a metal roof lasts and the most significant problems of metal roofs.
Cause: With time, metal roofs can develop rust and corrosion if exposed to harsh weather conditions. It can happen at any time, depending on metal types, paint systems, and the environment in which they work best. Here are some common reasons why roof corrosion can happen.
- Exposure to moisture: – Metal roof corrosion can increase during rain, snow, or high humidity. Water can work as a catalyst that promotes oxidation and breaks down the metal surface.
- Chemical reactions: – If metal roofs remain in contact with chemical substances like fertilizers, pesticides, or cleaning agencies.
- Improve Ventilation: – The metal roof can easily trap moisture and improve the humidity levels for the particular environment.
- Scratches and Damages: – Any dents, scratches, or damages on the metal roof’s surface can expose the underlying metal to corrosion.
- Lack of protective coatings: – Metal roofs are often coated with protective finishes like sealants or paint to inhibit corrosion.
- Salt Exposure: – Any metal roof that remains in the coastal areas or regions where deicing salts are used on roads is more prone to corrosion.
Solutions: Regular inspections and application of protective coatings can prevent rust and corrosion. Homeowners should address the issues promptly by simply removing the affected areas and applying a rust-resistant coating that can improve the lifespan of roofs. It’s crucial to know the lifespan of roofing material for metal roofs.
Leaks and Water Intrusion
Cause: Leaks can occur due to damaged or improperly installed roof panels, sealant, or flashing around roof penetrations. It can affect interior damage and mold growth, directly ruining valuable items within a home or building. Homeowners should be careful with uncontrollable everyday triggering events that might lead to leakage. These could be:
- Driving Rain
- Heavy or Melting Snow
- Ice Damming
- Structural Damage
- Weather Occurrences
- Installation Error
Solution: Homeowners should partner with a reputable contractor who keeps a good track record of quality installs, which supports reducing the chances of leaks. Roof penetrations and flashing need to be correctly sealed, and fasteners remain tight.
Cause: Flat areas of metal roof and wall panels show waviness because of oil canning, referred to as elastic buckling. It can occur in any metal panel, like zinc, copper, aluminum, and steel. Oil canning can lead to issues, improper handling or storage of the panel before installation, stress during production, and thermal expansion and contraction.
Solution: Oil Canning can be minimized for metal roofs; there’s no 100% guaranteed way to prevent or fix it. You can take the measures to bring a reduction in the look of oil canning on your flat panels:
- Hiring expert installers to prevent faulty installation
- Add striations, series of ridges, or waves to the panels.
- Select a thicker gauge or narrower width when choosing panels.
Cause: Metal roofs might find scratches, nicks, and scuffs due to falling objects, severe weather storms, or even during installation. Most paint systems and finishes remain extremely tough and can resist this aesthetic issue. It might occur due to:
- Metal is incorrectly coiled or recoiled; it might rub together and remove the coating.
- Shipment might lead to edge guards that can protect the sheet edges.
- A carrier might need help to use suitable lifting mechanisms to handle the coil.
- By mistake, the coil might pass through the roll-forming machine, and the coil has brushed up against a machine component accidentally.
Solution: Homeowners need to take steps for scratch or scuff to replace it if it’s obvious and extends from top to bottom of the metal panel. Many scratches and scuffs can be repaired with paint and touch-up pens. Hiring professional contractors can help make the right decision without spending time and amount.
Expansion and Contraction Noise
Cause: Metal roofs expand and contract with fluctuations in temperature. It might lead to a clicking or popping noise, which is not a structural problem but can annoy homeowners.
Solution: There’s not much that can be done to prevent the noise entirely; with the help of professionals, you can perform the roof installation process much faster to minimize the issue.
Choose the Right Metal Roofing Contractor
Some contractors and installers who are inexperienced or unqualified to install metal roofing make you find the right roofing contractor. Metal roofs are durable; they are not immune to issues. It requires regular maintenance and inspection to see and acknowledge common problems early.
Excel Construction Group professionals can share the details about the common metal roof problems. You can contact us at (844) 601-ROOF (7663) or visit our website to learn more about metal roofs.